People with diabetes often find the need to check their amount of sugar. However, people who are busy and do not get much time from their tough schedules, fail to take care of their health. As a result, not only do they ignore their health, but also don’t go for frequent checkups.
However, thanks to the latest technologies that ease tests for everyone. One such technology that allows you to check your sugar amount from the comfort of your home is a blood sugar monitor. However, there are certain things to consider when choosing a blood sugar monitor. So here is more information to know.
What is a Blood Sugar Monitor?
A blood sugar monitor also known as a blood glucose meter or glucometer, is a tool used to gauge blood glucose levels. Diabetes patients use it to check their blood glucose levels and, if necessary, control how much insulin they take in. However, they are typically used to collect blood puddles with test strips.
How to Choose the Best Blood Sugar Monitor?
From exercise, food, medications, and stress, to other factors, our blood glucose level is impacted by various things. However, by monitoring any changes in your blood glucose level, you can manage your diabetes more effectively.
And nothing can be better than using a blood sugar monitor. Planning to buy one? Wondering how to get the best product or what should you look for in a glucometer? To help you, here are some factors to consider to get the best blood sugar monitor:
- Check for the Features First
The very first thing to look for in a blood sugar monitor is its features. To inquire about the features to find which ones suit your unique requirements. Besides, special features include large, user-friendly test strips and buttons, illuminated screens, and audio that may be advantageous for those with vision impairment.
- Storage and Retrieval
Information storage and retrieval is another factor to consider when choosing a blood sugar monitor. Here you need to think about the data storage and retrieval methods used by the meter. Some people have the ability to monitor test dates, times, results, and patterns over time.
While some meters allow you to use a smartphone app to instantly share your readings with your healthcare provider. Alternatively, some may give you the choice to download your blood glucose readings to a computer and email your doctor the test results. So choose as per your needs.
- See If It Is Easy to Use
Is the blood sugar monitor you’re opting for easy to use? The easy interface is another factor to consider. Are the test strips and the meter both cosy and convenient to hold? Are the numbers on the screen easy to see?
How easy is it to splatter blood on the test strips? What volume of blood is needed? Considering all these factors will help you get the best one.
- Stay Within the Budget
There are many different kinds of blood sugar monitors, ranging from basic devices to more advanced meters with a variety of features and settings. Test strips and blood glucose meters come in a variety of prices, and insurance coverage also varies.
So make sure to account for the price of the test strips, which will account for the majority of the overall expense in the long run.
Even though neglected at the time of purchasing, another factor to consider is support. Many meter manufacturers provide a toll-free number you can call if you need assistance.
Therefore, look for a blood sugar monitor that comes with detailed instructions that show you how to use it properly. Besides, when buying from online stores, some manufacturers provide user manuals on their websites.
How to Use a Blood Sugar Monitor?
Talking about blood sugar monitors, there are various kinds available. However, most of them work in the same method. You can also ask your healthcare team or the store assistant to guide you before purchasing. Besides, you can also look for the instructions on the packaging before purchasing.
Besides, if you’re sick and don’t know how to use it, then to help you, here is how to use your blood sugar monitor properly:
- Step 1: Firstly, make sure the meter is prepared for usage and clean.
- Step 2: Right after removing a strip, close the test strip container tightly. This is because if test strips come into contact with moisture, they may become destroyed.
- Step 3: Then simply use soap and warm water to wash your hands. Dry well and massage your hand to induce bleeding into your finger. Remember alcohol should not be used since it dries the skin out too much.
- Step 4: Prick your finger with a lancet. Then gently squeeze some blood onto the test strip starting at the base of the finger. In the meter, place the strip.
- Step 5: The reading will emerge shortly after. Monitor and document your outcomes. Include any information that may have caused the reading to fall outside of the target range, such as diet, activity, and so on.
- Step 6: Now place the lancet and strip in a garbage can after properly discarding them.
- Step 7: Make sure not to share lancets or other blood sugar monitoring supplies with anybody, not even close relatives.
- Step 8: Furthermore, test strips should be kept in the provided container. Avoid exposing them to moisture, be it very high or very low temperatures.
Purchase the Right Blood Sugar Monitor
When looking for a blood sugar monitor, you’ll surely come across Medguard. This is because we top the list. We stock nothing but the world’s most reliable brand products. Be it once-off orders or orders in large bulk, we make sure every customer’s needs are fulfilled without any delay. Whether you need glucometer or ovulation test strips, we offer a wide range of products at premium prices.
Our team members are always ready to guide and advise you. We have served thousands of clients and still take pride in serving customers without failing to meet their needs. From top-notch quality, speed delivery, flexibility, and discounts to customer support, we are your best medical partner.