Surgeries are complex, and every surgeon has their way to go about surgery. Everything is different, from the equipment they need to the tools they use from one surgeon to another. This is the reason why the hospitals and healthcare care centers keep preference cards of each surgeon. With time, paper-based preference cards are slowly turning into the electronic version of preference cards. Read ahead to know, what are preference cards, and why Automate preference cards are more befitting the changing landscape of the healthcare industry.
What are preference cards?
The tools, equipment, medicine, etc., are mentioned in these preference cards that a certain surgeon needs during the procedure. Before the surgical procedure, the inventory and supply staff gets all the items from the inventory and keeps them in the OR cart. They also keep track of the inventory and mention things that need to be restocked in time. They are an integral part of the surgical procedure, and without proper preference cards, surges cannot be performed properly, and it can put the patients in harm’s way.
Paper preference cards
Preference cards are crucial for bettering the surgical teams’ functioning and providing better healthcare to the patients. From the very beginning, the preference cards are paper-based. The preferences of the surgeons are noted down on paper by hand. Every surgeon has their preference cards that are referred to while preparing for the surgeries. However, with time, one can see that there are several disadvantages to paper-based preference cards. Some of the disadvantages are:
– Paper cards can get lost or can get damaged over time with use and re-use.
– Handwritten cards can cause an error due to illegible writing that the inventory staff can mistake.
– Reading and understanding the cards can take up a lot of time and lead to a hassling process.
– Getting worn equipment and supplies before the surgeries can lead to dissatisfaction of the surgeons.
– The cost of maintaining the paper-based preference cards is too high and reduces the cost-effectiveness.
Automated preference cards
Automated or electronic preference cards are bringing a new change in the way the healthcare system functions. These cards are based on the electronic health care data that is collected over time. These days, AI programs link the inventory and preference cards that are managed and handled electronically. The data is updated immediately when the changes are made. The inventory staff can download the card and keep the details handy when needed. This streamlines the stocking of the inventory so that equipment and other supplies can be stocked as and when needed. Data and AI help keep the errors at bay and make handling preference cards much easier and convenient.
Benefits of automated preference cards
Some of the reasons why electronic preference cards are so useful are:
– The errors are reduced as these cards are not handwritten, and thus one will not have to deal with illegible handwriting.
– Updating the Automate preference cards becomes much easier than before. They are automatically updated, and therefore there is no chance that the supplies supplied to the surgeon will be outdated or the ones they do not use anymore.
– These days, the cards are stored in cloud storage, which means one will not have to worry about losing them or destroying them with wear and tear.
-With everything in place and no error in filling up the surgery cart, the surgeons tend to be more relaxed, which can positively affect the final results of the surgery.
This can be a big blessing for bigger healthcare facilities where several surgeons work and hundreds of patients undergo small or big surgeries.