Natural deodorants have become very popular in recent years, particularly since the evidence is increasing that underarm shaving with antiperspirant and/or deodorant that contain a lot of harmful chemical ingredients may be linked to several medical conditions and may play a role in breast cancer.
More and more people are doing their research when purchasing a new deodorant and want to avoid toxic chemical ingredients found in antiperspirants like:
- propylene glycol
- parfum or fragrance
What are the benefits of using a natural deodorant?
Using a natural deodorant has a number of benefits over traditional antiperspirants, including:
- It doesn’t contain harsh chemicals: Many traditional antiperspirants contain aluminum-based compounds that can be irritating to some people’s skin. Natural deodorants often use ingredients that are gentler on the skin and free of harsh chemicals.
- It is better for sensitive skin: If you have sensitive skin, a natural deodorant may be less likely to cause irritation or an allergic reaction.
- It supports natural body functions: Sweating is a natural process that helps regulate body temperature and remove toxins. Antiperspirants work by blocking sweat glands, which can disrupt this natural process. Natural deodorants, on the other hand, simply help to neutralize odor and keep you smelling fresh.
- It is environmentally friendly: Natural deodorants are often made with biodegradable and sustainably sourced ingredients, which is better for the environment compared to traditional antiperspirants that often come in single-use plastic packaging.
- It leaves no white marks: Some antiperspirants can leave white marks on clothing, but natural deodorants are less likely to do so.
However, not all natural deodorants may provide the same level of sweat control as traditional antiperspirants, so you may need to reapply them more frequently. Additionally, some people may need to try several different natural deodorants before finding one that works for them, as everyone’s skin and body chemistry is different.
Why a natural deodorant is not enough?
A part from being made with natural ingredients a deodorant should be also packaged in plastic-free or zero-waste packaging. Why?
In the United States alone, about 15 million tons of plastic are used every year in deodorant packaging. Can you imagine globally?
For these reasons, people should opt for a plastic free deodorant as it provides all these benefits:
- It reduces waste: Plastic-free deodorants come in packaging that is either biodegradable, recyclable, or reusable, which helps reduce waste and protect the environment.
- It saves resources: Plastic-free deodorants are often packaged in materials like glass or metal, which can be recycled indefinitely, reducing the need for new resources to be extracted from the earth.
- It supports sustainable practices: By choosing plastic-free deodorants, you can support companies that prioritize sustainability and eco-friendly practices.
- It is better for the environment: Plastic pollution is a major environmental issue, and reducing the amount of plastic in our daily lives can help minimize our impact on the planet.
Nowadays such eco-friendly natural deodorants are available also in major supermarkets, in health shops or online, therefore there is an abundant choice. It’s important to look for products that specifically state they are plastic-free or come in environmentally friendly packaging, like reusable aluminum tins, if that is a priority for you. Additionally, like with natural deodorants, some people may need to try several different plastic-free deodorants before finding one that works well for them.
In conclusion, natural and plastic-free deodorants can offer a number of benefits over traditional antiperspirants, including being gentler on the skin, supporting natural body functions, being environmentally friendly, and reducing waste. While they may not provide the same level of sweat control as traditional antiperspirants, they can be a good option for those who want to avoid harsh chemicals or minimize their environmental impact. Additionally, with a growing number of options on the market, it is becoming easier to find a natural or plastic-free deodorant that works well for each individual.